Monday, February 20, 2012

Runza vs. runza

I didn't have a Runza until I was in my teens.  I actually didn't think anyone else knew about runzas and that it was just our family's thing. You might think I was living under a rock.  Growing up my mom's runzas were one of my favorite suppers, and still the smell of browned meat and cabbage instantly makes me feel warm and cozy.

I have never made runzas before, but I thought I would give it a go.  I started by tracking down a dough recipe that didn't call for dried milk (who actually has that on hand?) My trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook had one that I will now make over and over again. I made mine with my handy-dandy bread machine that I love, love, love!  I rely on it a little too much for my bread making kneads (ha,ha) but it's really a fabulous tool.  I adapted the order of the recipe in the cookbook to follow the instructions of the bread maker which require liquids first.

1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, margarine, or shortening
1 beaten egg
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 package active dry yeast

What I love is that you dump and go.  Pour everything into the bowl, push the setting for 2lbs, dough, and poof, 90 minutes later fabulous dough!

While the dough was doing its thing I prepared the stuffing mixture.  Start by browning 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb ground pork sausage.  You can use all beef, but I like the spiciness that the sausage adds.  Salt, pepper and approximately 1 tsp dried onion help develop the flavor.

Once the meat is fully cooked add in one 2/3 package of prepared coleslaw mix (you can shred the cabbage and carrots yourself, but it comes so nicely ready, my preference is to go pre-fab.)  Stir together and continue cooking until the cabbage starts to wilt.  Add in 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese for creamy decadence.


When your dough has risen and is ready, pull out little balls (I'm sure there is a technical term for this, but I don't know what it is) and form with your fingers little round disks, as though you are making super tiny pizzas.  No more than 5-7 inches in diameter.  When you have your disks prepared, scoop in a heaping spoonful of the meat mixture. 

 Now this is just cute (and I'm a little more than proud of my step-by-step photography here) but fold up the dough like an envelope bringing up opposite sides and pinching the ends together.  Then seal in any seems and tuck them into a little ball.  So cute!  Flip over so that the seam side is down.

 Allow these to rise again for about 15 minutes.  (If you have forgotten to pre-heat your oven like I always do, this is a good time to turn it to 375 degrees.)

Once your oven is ready, and the dough has risen slightly pop these in for about 20-25 minutes until just golden.  Your house will start to smell like the heavenly scent of fresh baked bread.

YUM!

This recipe results in 10-12 runzas depending on your disk size, so there are always plenty for leftovers.  These also freeze and reheat incredibly well for a quick meal another day.  You may also have leftover stuffing mixture, and I have a great idea that I'll share with you later in the week for using that up.

Runza vs. runza?  Mine would definitely win, except you have got to love their Frings... What I also love about the size of mine is that they are at least 1/2 as big as the restaurant which means that you can eat at least two without guilt. (Well maybe not completely without guilt!) I served mine with baked potatoes (and a sweet potato for me) and frozen vegetables. 

What I Used-Up:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork sausage
1 pkg coleslaw mix

No comments:

Post a Comment