Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 5: Use-It-Up Leftover Style

Let me just say that I am so incredibly thankful for the wonderful weekend we had together as a family.  We were all home together for more than 48 hours, which in this household is about one weekend in what seems like a million. 

To top it all off, we were blessed to have my uncle's family home visiting from Guam. It was great to have everyone together around good food. On my dad's side of the family, any big get together centers around plate after plate of smoked Alaskan salmon. The men will sit around for hours eating the savory pink fish on Zesta crackers with butter, almost as in in competition to see who can eat the most. Over the years more sides and alternative main dishes have been added to the menu as soon granddaughters outnumbered the original four boys. Yesterday we had a feast of roast beef, the most amazing ham (my husband was still talking about it when we got home), mashed potatoes, Great Grandma Pearl's famous rolls, and a bounty of wonderful sides. 

I regret not taking a picture of the buffet, but here is the Layered Mediterranean Dip I talked about in Days 3 and 4.  It was a big hit, but even better was the cookie dough dip (Day 4).  I served the cookie dough dip with sliced apples and graham crackers and the kids devoured it.  Both will be added to my repertoire to bring to get togethers.

We finished our quiet weekend with a quiet Super Bowl Sunday at home, watching commercials and the game in between ironing, laundry, and general getting ready for Monday.  Sundays at our house are usually Use-It-Up leftover style where we finish off anything we haven't completely eaten from the week.  Last night we were happy that included lasagna and roast beef.  Now I know there are some out there who despise leftovers, but I will never understand that philosophy.  There are so many ways that they can be reinvented for round two that are often even better than their original form.

Quiet honestly I think even if the Queen Mum were staying with us for a week, eventually I would serve her leftovers. "Madame, can I offer you fish tacos from the fish and chips we had earlier in the week?"  That's how strongly I feel about the greatness of round two or three.

It is very easy to get into a rut.  I am looking for innovative ways to reinvent the rest of the roast beef in the refrigerator, besides sandwiches.  If you have any amazing idea of something you have tried, please send me a message!

2 comments:

  1. I usually make shepherd's pie with my leftover roast beef. Since I also usually make mashed potatoes when I make roast beef, I can use both sets of leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Andi! You were my inspiration for tonight's meal!

    ReplyDelete