Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 15: Waffle Meet Pumpkin Pie

One of the things I love about this project is that it has helped me think more strategically about what to make for supper.  I've really been feeling inspired to come up with new dishes based on what I have left to use-up.  Tonight's inspiration was "Waffle Week" and since Sunday's breakfast went so well, I decided to break out the waffle iron again with a different dish, pumpkin waffles.  Our house now smells like the best of Thanksgiving!

Here is the actual recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com. I halved the recipe because I thought it looked like a lot, and boy was I glad I did.  Jett and I would have been eating nothing but waffles all week. I did not have allspice or ginger, so I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves.


First combine dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin, milk, and egg yolks.

Next whip the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. (I think I have broken out the mixer more times in the last two weeks than all year.)




Stir in the dry ingredients and 1/8 cup melted butter into the pumpkin mixture.  Gently fold in 1/2 of the egg whites until incorporated. Then fold in the remaining egg whites.

Waffle meet pumpkin pie!  Beautiful light and fluffy consistency thanks to those laborious egg whites, and perhaps just a little bit creamier than a normal waffle due to the pumpkin.  I paired it with scrambled eggs with little smokies, and apples. 

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals to eat so I love reinventing it as a supper dish.  It's also a great on-hand alternative when you don't know what else to make.

What I used-up:
Can of pumpkin
Remainder of a 1/2 gallon of milk
Remainder of a stick of butter

No comments:

Post a Comment