Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 12: It's Waffle Week!

Last week I stumbled upon the Rachael Ray Show's proclamation of their second annual Waffle Week.  Can I get an AMEN? 

Each Sunday I try and make breakfast, you know actually fix eggs, pancakes, sausage, casserole, etc. instead of just pouring in the cereal.  Even if it is just Jett and I, this has become our little tradition.  So inspired by Waffle Week, I broke out the waffle iron, which I had to search for behind the blender and six crock pots (yes, I have six crock pots, but that's a story for another post!)  Let's just say it's been almost as long ago since I've made waffles as lasagna.

I LOVE waffles but they never turn out right for me.  Undercooked, overcooked, weird texture, you name it. I won't even get into the time that I tried to make savory waffles with bacon and cheese...

So, I went to reach for the box of pancake mix that I usually would use for waffles only to discover that I had used it up. Waffles, from scratch?  Can I do this?  I felt like I was setting myself up for disaster.  A quick online search resulted in finding Emeril's Classic Belgian Waffles.  I had everything the recipe called for (almost, I substituted cake flour with all purpose flour and it worked just fine) and gave it a shot. 

Hello waffles, goodbye boxed mix!  These golden delights were light, fluffy, eggy and rich, but not heavy tasting.  They didn't even need half a bottle of syrup to choke them down.  I had mine with just a couple of blackberries. 

I think I've just found my new favorite February holiday...welcome Waffle Week!


No comments:

Post a Comment