Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blogging in Bulk

A hurricane of crazy schedules, a well-baby checkup, and an impromptu shopping trip are among my list of excuses for not blogging for a few days. 

To be quite honest one of the main reasons for abandoning blog for the past four days has to do with the fact that the only Use-It-Up concoctions we have enjoyed were leftovers, leftovers, leftovers.

I once read a great book that will reveal the depth of my inner food-geek, "Alone In The Kitchen With An Eggplant," a comprising of food writers' and chefs' memiores and confessions about they eat when they are alone.  I felt like our menu on Day 16 could have come straight out of its binding. It was truly one of the strangest leftover menus we have had for awhile.  Jett and I dined on leftover V-Day pizza, lentil soup, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and for dessert yogurt with blackberries. 

Yesterday's breakfast taught an important lesson.  You should never ever reheat leftover pumpkin waffles. What was once delicious and fluffy was found to be soggy, shrunken and funny tasting two days later.  I tried a bite and opted for Cheerios immediately.

However strange and slightly gross these combinations may seem, they have left my refrigerator successfully empty, with the cupboard coming close behind. The project has also resulted in 13 meals for my family, not including the bizarre aforementioned leftover meal.
This morning Jett and I celebrated success by cleaning out the refrigerator.  Now let me tell you that I generally do not think of myself, my husband or our son as a messy, disgusting human being.  That is until I cleaned out the fridge.  It was a little shocking what some of the cracks and crevices looked like, I won't go into the details.  But I'm proud to say that it now sparkles, and after a quick trip to the grocery store this afternoon, it is once again fairly well stocked for the week.

My bill today at the store...$48.77!  I am loving Use-It-Up February! 

No comments:

Post a Comment