Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 3: My First Shopping Trip

The storm is on its way.  I've heard predictions between 2-13 inches.  My Grandma called last night to remind me that I should go to the grocery store and make sure I have staples on hand, just in case.  Oh Gram, you don't know what a temptation that is right before Super Bowl Sunday! Not only were the aisles at Hy-Vee packed with every kind of calorie-guilt laden snack food on the planet but less than eight hours before the storm is supposed to hit, they were packed with people too.  One little shopper said it best, when she told her mom, "This place is Bu-zz-y!"

Earlier in the day I found two really fantastic looking recipes on the Tasty Kitchen blog; Cookie Dough Dip, and Mediterranean Dip. I had been looking for something to take to a family get-together on Sunday, and I can't wait to try these out.  The only problem...I had to break the rules. (But does it count if you are breaking the rules to take something to a family event?  I mean really, I wasn't breaking the rules just for me...)  This little pile of "necessities" cost me as much as Jett's first semester at college.  Who knew you needed a loan to purchase pine nuts!

Except for these five items I was able to stick to the plan, and my bill was a whopping total $64.61, at least half of my normal grocery bill. 

After my first post, I have heard a number of friends ask, "So what should an average family spend on groceries every month?" Now I'm sure that this is open to vast interpretation, but a little research revealed the USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion chart that shows Monthly Food Costs at four different levels. The data was jaw dropping, for a family of two in our demographic plus a one-year old child, the moderate-cost plan for one month is $707.60.  The low-cost plan, $580/month!  Holy Guacamole! 

If you are looking for some data more frightening than this, click on the Costs of Raising a Child Calculator...no wait, don't - it will only give you heartburn.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment