Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 2: Too Stuffed to be Sunny!

Yesterday was Groundhog's Day, and for me one of the most awaited days of the year.  I really do like this furry February tradition that for one day, proclaims the weather forecasters wrong (one day...ha!) and relies on a fuzzy, friendly rodent to tell us what to expect the next 6 weeks.  My reasons for loving this holiday stems back to my Mom and Grandma's gift at making long winter days special in their own way, and growing up Groundhog's Day was another great excuse to break up the gray of winter.  My clearest memories come from a day when I was probably four or five years old, and I awoke to the smell of an amazing pancake and bacon breakfast at my Grandma's.  She had the local news on and held me up to the counter to watch the kitchen TV as the little dude proclaimed his prediction.  We spent the rest of the morning making special Groundhog's Day napkins and making pictures and cards for my mom, aunts and uncle to enjoy when they came home for the day.

In the morning as I cuddled my little buddy, and listened to him say "Ooh!" when good ole Phil appeared, I couldn't help get excited for the chance to celebrate many Groundhog's Days with him.

So, what does one serve for Groundhog's Day?  6 more weeks of winter = comfort food.  Chicken cordon blue*, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  What I love about the "use-it-up" concept is that inspires great adaptations based on what's available.  For my mashed potatoes this meant traditional russet potatoes and one of my favorite foods, sweet potatoes, together.  We were recently at a local restaurant that had this as a side, and I was intrigued.  I didn't have a chance to try it that night but have been thinking about it ever since.  Let me tell you, it was amazing! The creamy, savory, wholesomeness of the russets married with the sweet, natural buttery flavor of the sweet potatoes. I cooked the russets and sweet potatoes separately by traditional boiling the spuds.  I added 1 Tab of margarine, 1/4 cup sour cream, and 1/4 milk to the russets and just 1 Tab margarine to the sweet potatoes, salt and pepper to taste. By cooking separately Kevin (who is not a sweet potato fan) could still enjoy, and Jett and I could relish in the combo, which was delicious, nutritious and beautiful!

*The chicken cordon blue is one of an amazing selection of stuffed meats available from our local Hy-Vee butcher.  These go on sale frequently and when they do, I stock the freezer.  Thaw, brown on both sides, and finish in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

I tried to come up with a creative title for the menu and decided on "Too Stuffed to be Sunny" (stuffed - chicken - stuffed with ham, ha!)

What I used-up:
1 pkg stuffed chicken cordon blue (two chicken breasts)
4 russet potatoes
3 sweet potatoes
1/4 carton of sour cream
2 Tabs margarine (butter would work great, but I was out)
1/4 cup milk
Green bean leftovers from Day 1

If you had a Groundhog's Day celebration I would love to hear about it!  Our 6 more weeks of winter is on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment