Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 23: My Teal Colored Dream Appliance

Hello beautiful, would you like to live in my kitchen?





When occaisional boredum, writers block, or mid-afternoon sleepiness hits, or I just plain need to think about something else for a few minutes, I often find myslef perusing The Pioneer Woman woman website and blog.  I love Ree's story and I think her writing is not only delicious - food writer and all, but highly entertaining, lighthearted and funny.  Sometimes I think that if Kevin ever fully wins the "farm arguement" and we move out to the boonies, maybe I could be just like Ree...And then I think about the disgusting cow crap laden laundry that I get to do just once a week multiplying by seven days and start to change my mind again. 

A long way to say that I was reading Ree's blog today and she is giving away three of these beautiful, beautiful mixers!  I entered, but I never win anything (well that's not completely true, when I was 11 I won a disposable camera from the Mars Candy Company by sending in a UPC code, but that's it) so I'm not making space on the countertop just yet.  But I kind of am.  The truth is I have wanted a Kitchenaid Mixer forever!  I even started to rationalize this blog as the perfect excuse to splurge and get one.  a) Because of all the money I've saved using-it-up; b) I have used my hand mixer at a minimum of 7 times just this month; and c) it would look so beautiful on my countertop in my turquoise colored kitchen.  But then I remembered that our car is due for licensing, taxes, etc. and Poof! there goes my teal colored dream appliance.  Maybe if you all cross your fingers for me that I will win, my luck might improve.  If you do, and I do win, I promise to make the most fabulous cookies in the world as a thank you.  I'll use this for good...promise! (Do you hear that Universe?)

Okay, enough about that.  The real reason for posting tonight is to give you as promised a great "Day 2" recipe for that leftover runza mixture, stuffed acorn squash.  This is a dish that my mom stumbled upon not that long ago and let me tell you that I can not eat runzas now without hoping this round two is in the near future.  It's SO easy not to mention healthy and delicious! 

Cut an acorn squash in half, scoop out the innerds with a large spoon.  Place both halves yellow side up in a baking dish, and drizzle with olive oil.  Now I used up my olive oil way back on Day 4, so I melted a little bit of margarine and drizzled that overtop - works just fine.  Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.  Place into oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.  After the squash has started to soften scoop in the leftover runza mixture (beef, sausage, cabbage, and cheese) into the natural little bowls made from scooping out the squash guts.  Over with foil and bake another 20 minutes until squash is soft and meat heated through.

What I used-up tonight:
1 acorn squash
Remainder of the runza mixture
2 Tab of margarine
Extra energy day dreaming about my "someday" mixer

No comments:

Post a Comment