Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 7: That's a Wrap!

I'm incredibly blessed that my mom and dad live in the same town that we do.  I'm also incredibly blessed that my mom is our care-provider for Jett.  He loves getting to spend time with Grandma everyday, and I love the chance to catch up over coffee or lunch with her too. 

Today was unusual as I only had one meeting, only one and it wasn't over lunch for once.  When Jett was brand new to the world and I was nursing I made it a point not to schedule meetings over lunch if I could help it.  That way we could have some special bonding time and lunch together.  I've tried to maintain that, but it has become progressively harder as I've added more responsibilities to my job, which means more meetings over the noon hour.  But not today!

For lunch I brought over some of the remaining Mediterranean dip and sliced roast and we had the most amazing wraps.  I think that I may need to always make the two in sequential order for the benefit of this totally awesome combination later on.  Wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, it was part gyro, part fajita and completely fabulous.  I could eat that for lunch every day!

That got me thinking, hmm... fajitas sound good.  Hello easy supper! I tossed some roast, onions and green pepper into a skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of butter and a half clove of chopped garlic, and within about two minutes dinner was served.
I topped my fajita with some sour cream, salsa and a sprinkling (what was left in the bag) or shredded cheese.
I've always enjoyed cooking at home and I always use up the leftovers, but this project has caused me to be more strategic about how I can use-up other ingredients as well.  I'm not a menu planner, but I think I could be converted.  I can definitely see the merit in it, especially when it comes to strategic grocery shopping and a use-it-up philosophy.  I've actually been surprised by the number of friends who have told me that they are menu planners and base their shopping on what they need.  I'm impressed with your organization!

So which are you?  Are you a menu manager, or a spur of the moment strategist?

No comments:

Post a Comment