Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 1: Loads of Lasagna

You saw my messy fridge, now here is a peak at the cupboards.
Now take a close look at the bottom right shelf in the roundabout, three jars of canned tomato sauce...but that's not all, a quick spin to reveal a fourth hiding in the back.  Top right of the cupboard, three boxes of unopened lasagna noodles...good intentions, bad execution. And the root problem to my grocery shopping conundrum.

I told my hubby about this little project last night and he said, "Good luck, but if you can do it, that will probably save a lot of money this month." Then I told him that he was in luck, lasagna was on the menu for Day 1. And then I asked a question that I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer to.  "Kev, do you remember the last time I made lasagna?  I can't remember making it in this house."  His response affirmed my memory.  I haven't made lasagna in over three years! What's sad is that I love lasagna, Kevin loves lasagna, but I somehow have it in my mind that it's difficult to make and/or that my kitchen will look like a massacre by the time I'm finished. And it pretty much did.
But the results were not one, but three mini pans and one large pan of lasagna.  Not to mention an incredibly delicious supper!

Now this would be the part where in the future I will be posting the recipe to what I've made, but tonight I have a confession...I'm sure I did not make it "right".  Instead of going by the Betty Crocker recipe, counting noodles, and measuring out the correct sauce to meat to ricotta mixture ratio, I just guessed.  And then layered, and guessed again.  Added a little extra mozzarella cheese on top and hoped for the best.

Here is what I used up:
2 lbs of hamburger
1 box of lasagna noodles
3 jars of pasta sauce
2 pkg of mozzerella cheese
1 pkg of parmesan cheese
1 countainer of ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 pkg frozen green beans (not shown)
1 pkg Great Grandma Pearl's homemade dinner rolls (not shown)

I'll call that a successful Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment